FILOMENA DOLORES ‘PHYLLIS’ PIEJAK daughter of ANTONI PIEJAK and JOZEFA MARKOWSKA both born in Kłodnica Dolna, Poland. Phyllis was born October 28, 1940 in Passaic, NJ and married CHARLES JOSEPH LEHRER on September 01, 1962 in Passaic, NJ.
An 1827 Description of the huge Kłodnica Folwark, originally the property of Mikolja Count Maciejowski Ciolek
No 3) is Kłodnica Dolna (Lower Kłodnica)
Translations by Charles Anthony Lehrer:
3.) Kłodnica Dolna (Lower Kłodnica), folwark, powiat of Janow, municipality and parish Wilkolaz. In 1827, there were 40 houses, 243 inhabitants. In the 15th century the heirs were: Jan, Hektor, and Michal Wieniawici. The folwark Lower Kłodnica (consisting of the villages of Lower Kłodnica, Bialowody and Emilkow), covers 815 morga. (1 morga = 1.479 acres). Arable lands and gardens: 609 morga. Meadows: 9 morga. Forested land: 175 morga. Water: 6 morga. Wastelands and commons: 16 morga. 4 brick houses [masonry buildings], 9 species of trees; crop rotation 10 and 12 per field. There are layers of limestone and limestone blocks. An unnamed river flows though, with a mill and three ponds. Village of Lower Kłodnica 38 settlements, with 628 morga of cultivated land; Village of Bialowody 10 settlements, with 89 morga of cultivated land; Village of Emilkow 2 settlements, with 12 morga of cultivated land.
1) Kłodnica, settlement of peasants on the river Chodel and Lake Klodnicki, powiat of Lublin, municipality and parish of Chodel. In the fifteenth century there was a wooden parish church of St. Peter’s Hand; the village is the heritage of Mikolja Count Maciejowski Ciolek. With time, apparently the church fell into disrepair and was not rebuilt, because in nearby Chodel a basilica had been erected.
2) Kłodnica, village, powiat of Nowoaleksandryj, municipality Szczekarkow, parish of Wilkov. In 1827, there were 27 houses, 187 inhabitants. In the fifteenth century the village name was Klodnia Nogaeazczyna and belonged to Pakosza and Grzegorza Nogawki.
4) Upper Kłodnica, folwark, poviat Janowski, district and parish Wilkolaz. In 1827 there were 34 houses, 247 inhabitants. Folwark Upper Kłodnica (including the villages of Upper Kłodnica and Ryczydol) covers 1189 morga: arrable land and gardens 816 morga; wallflowers 56 morga; water 3 morga; 297 morga of forest; 16 morga of wastelands and squares. 6 brick buildings, species of trees 19, there is a water mill and pond; there is peat and limestone. Village of Upper Klondnica: 28 settlements, 412 morga of cultivated land; Village of Ryczydol: 12 settlements, 102 morga of cultivated land.
Good Klodnicki, consisting of the village of Klodnia, belonged in 1596, by right of inheritance, to three brothers Klodnicki who jointly shared, subsequently passed on to Jadwiga Pajewski in 1610, daughter of Andrezeja Klodnickiego, and remained in the family Pajewski until the year 1706. That year Piotr Potemski, born of Teresy Pajewski, acquired from his uncle John one half of Klodnica, and in 1727 the other half from his cousin Anna of Pajewski Iwanickiej. Potemski only held Kłodnica until the mid-eighteenth century due to the constant expansion of the boundaries of Miaczyn. In the mid-eighteenth century, the village Klodnia ruled on behalf of Jelowickich vs. Jemiolkowskich and Budzynskich, of whom the first successors repaid in 1758: Jemiolkowskich the sum of 23,333 zloty, and Budzynskich the sum of 16,600 zloty. At that moment, the good Klodnicki included: Klodnia, and parts of Wolka and Radlinski. Anthony Jełowicki “sortes suas in bonis Kłodnica” [their lots in good Klodnica] makes Stanislowi Bozeniec Jelowickich the Royal Chamberlain.
Source: Sulimierski, Filip; Chlebowski, Bronisław, and Walewski, Władysław eds., Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego i Innych Krajów Słowiańskich (Geographical Dictionary of the Kingdom of Poland and other Slavonic Countries) – Warsaw 1880.
OBITUARY OF JOZEFA MARKOWSKA PIEJAK
Thursday, September 30, 2004
Josephine Piejak, 90, of Greenbriar Woodlands, Toms River, NJ, died September 29, 2004 at Meridian Hospice in Brick. She had been employed at Samuel Hirds Worsted Mills, Garfield, NJ and Passaic Boys Suit Company before retiring in 1978. She was a communicant of St. Joseph Church, Toms River. Born in Poland, she emigrated to the United States in 1936 and lived in Passaic and Clifton before moving to Toms River in 1995. She was predeceased by her parents, Katherine and Stanley Markowski; her husband, Anthony in 1976; her sister Maria Mlynarczyk; and her brother, John Markowski. Surviving are two daughters, Irene, with whom she lived, and Phyllis Lehrer of Amherst, Massachusetts; four grandchildren, Charles Lehrer of Illinois, Angela Lehrer of New York, Phillip Lehrer of California and P.J. Lehrer and his wife, Moe of Maryland; one great-grandson, Tony; and several nieces and nephews in Poland. VISITATION WILL BE FRIDAY OCTOBER 2, 2004, 2PM-6PM AT D’ELIA FUNERAL HOME, Rte. 80 and Vermont Ave., Lakewood NJ. CALLING HOURS WILL BE FRIDAY 2PM-6PM at the funeral home. A funeral mass will be offered Saturday at 9am at St. Joseph Church, Toms River. Burial will be Monday October 4, 2004 at 10:30am at Calvary Cemetery, Paterson. Memorial contributions may be made to St. Joseph Church, 711 Hooper Ave. Toms River, NJ 08753 or Meridian Hospice, 615 Hope Rd. Eatontown, NJ 07724.
Historic Documents pertaining to the lives of Antoni and Jozefa Markowska Piejak:
Kłodnica Dolna (pronounced Kwodnitza Dol-na) is a large village on a north-south country road halfway between Borzechow and Kłodnica Gorna. The village is built on the east side of a stream, the land being prone to flooding from this stream. The land is undulating and arable and there is a wood about 1km to the northwest. All indications are that the area was once part of an extensive demesne like Owieeczki (seen in the 2nd map below) which was farmed by serfs in the years before 1807 when Napoleon incorporated Poland into his Empire. In fact, there is a manor house, the center of a demesne, at Łopiennik which is located just a short distance to the southwest of Kłodnica Dolna.
Tony Piejak: “I come-it dis contry, I bring-it ten fingel! “
Following his discharge from the Polish Army in 1922, where he had worked as a lineman stringing telecommunications wire during the Russo-Polish War (1918-1921), Tony left Poland for the US. Indeed, when he arrived in Detroit, Tony brought along with him from Poland, his most important asset: Ten Fingel, ten fingers, which he put to good use in Ford’s famous mile-long River Rouge plant. Tony reported to his son-in-law, Chick Lehrer, that he was always assured of work from the foremen visually reviewing applicants waiting outside the gates of the plant, because his strong build assured the managers that he could handle the toughest working conditions.
After working in Detroit for several years, Tony took leave of his life in the US in 1936 at the height of the Great Depression. Sailing from New York to Gdansk on the Steamship Pilsudski, he was heading back to Kłodnica Dolna to look for a wife. As he reported to Chick, Tony had tired of paying for sex in Detroit with ‘professional women’ and besides, he wanted to start a family.
Back in Kłodnica Dolna, Tony chose the very-cute daughter of Staniław Markowski, named Jozefa. Jozefa reported to Chick’s son, Charles: as fate would have it, she already had a boyfriend whom she loved and hoped to marry, and definitely did not want to marry Tony. But, as fathers prevailed in the choosing appropriate husbands for their daughters in those days, Jozefa married Tony against her strong will.
Antoni ‘Tony’ Piejak’s Five Maxims for Living a Good Life:
Like Chick’s grandmother Rosina Matacia, his son Charles’ grandfather Tony Piejak, spoke broken English. But that did stop him from giving good advice, based on his life experiences, to anyone who would listen.
Having survived World War I as a soldier in Czar Nicholas’ Imperial Russian Army (where he strung telephone wire), and as a soldier in the war between Poland and Russia which followed; and having experienced unbelievably tough work in Ford’s River Rouge plant in Detroit; and finally having braved the rigors of the Great Depression of the 1930s, not to mention the coming of World War II in Poland (from where he departed with his wife, Josie, who was pregnant with daughter Irene just in the nick of time), Tony came to these conclusions which he expressed in Five Maxims. They are presented here, first in Tony’s unique style of broken-English, and then in translation.
I. “Yaw poz be have-it frent…. jany-toor!”
Translation: “It is necessary in this life to have close friends who will come to your aid when you are in need. Do not neglect the lowly janitor!”
II. ” Kip taw naws klin!”
Translation: “Try your best to stay out of trouble. The last thing you want is to be hauled in by the police for some offense. Then your parents will end up having to do an unseemly favor for them to get you out of their clutches.”
III. “Yaw poz be steek together!”
Translation: “Make very attempt to maintain the closeness of your family members. Remember : blood is thicker than water.”
IV. “Trost no vun!”
Translation: “Be careful within whom you place your trust; times will come when you can not trust anyone but yourself!”
V. “Only this: Yett… Slipp… Shhhit! Dat’s all!” (Followed by rounds of laughter)
Translation: “In reality, there are really only three areas of endeavor in which a human being has to be concerned in order to survive. These are: providing food on the table for adequate nourishment, getting a good night’s rest, and being able to move one’s bowels!”
Phyllis Piejak was the fist wife of Chick Lehrer. The couple had four children together, Charles Anthony, Angela Irene, Philipp Louis, and James. Phyllis worked as a free-lance writer for the Amherst Record for many years covering the meetings of the League of Women Voters and Pelham Regional Public Schools, before landing a full-time position with the Daily Hampshire Gazette where she covered her favorite area: reporting on the doings of the residents of Amherst, MA.
A graduate of Trenton State College in English (BA: 1962) Phyllis first worked as a public school teacher in Clifton High School in New Jersey. A major support for her husband through his years in graduate school, she acted as his publicity manager during most of his tenure at the University of Massachusetts. Perhaps her finest moment as a publicist was to produce Chick’s Carnegie Recital Hall Concert in 1980, packing the house with every friend she knew. It was this supreme effort on Chick’s behalf and of the accompanying Five-College Chamber Orchestra conducted by Ronald Steele, which led to the rare and highly-coveted positive review in the Sunday NY Times given by the supercilious music critic, Joseph Horowitz.
During the years when Chick was married to Phyllis, he earned a Masters degree at Boston University and a DMA in Oboe at the University of Michigan. From 1968 until 1987 Chick was the professor of Oboe at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, MA.
This page has the following sub pages.